My name is Michael. I am a guy with a passion for learning and gaming. I play a wide variety of games, but mostly sandbox adventure and RPGs.

Saturday, July 9, 2011

I'm Back!

It has been a long while since I posted anything on my blog. I apologize to anyone who actually cares about what I have to say, but I can explain myself!

Altes Museum: Hitler's preferred Speech Venue
I went on a trip through Europe this last month where I got to see Berlin, Bern, Cologne, Amsterdam, Prague, Vienna, Rome, Venice, and some others. Although Europe was, surprisingly, a major disappointment I will make blog posts for each of the major cities (or at least a mass blog with bits and pieces from a group of cities). I will share my opinion of Europe as a whole with you now, however, so that you get the sense of why I feel so disappointed.

I found myself repeating this phrase to myself over and over again at each city. "Europe is like Latin America, but with more money and time to spend it." To be honest everything I saw and felt reinforced my opinion (at least culturally wise). This thought was not exclusive for Hispanic-like countries; it also crossed my my mind while in Germanic countries. Although Latin America is not as bad as some Americans say I did not like Europe being so similar to it and, in a nutshell, that is why I am disappointed.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~Deeper analysis~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

In order to explain my feelings further I have to share the ideas I had before embarking (old stylish too; I left the US on a cruise...) on this trip. I knew what an average American would know about Europe from typical comparisons found on travel books and news: Europe has a more relaxed workplace, better work vacation programs, more organized and better quality of public transportation, more environmental policies, more history, freedom of personal choice, a less violent and more sexually comfortable culture, etc. Simply put, I thought of Europe as a more developed, acculturated and comfortable USA; this notion is completely erroneous. 

Vienna's Street Garbage Can
Florence's Street
The first thing I would like to mention about Europe is that EVERYONE SMOKES EVERYWHERE. For the exception of most indoor places it is utterly normal, actually expected I would say, that you smoke. It does not matter who is around you, what time of the day, or even if there is an elementary soccer team right next to you: YES, I witnessed PLENTY of mothers smoking while pushing their baby's stroller. This made me very upset every day; it was impossible to avoid snorting the foul, disgusting smoke coming out of someone's black and dying lungs for a whole day. I must've inhaled more cigarette smoke from only second-hand-smoke in that month in Europe than in all my life put together. The overkill is the best part: THEY NEVER TURN OFF (step on, water or smash up) UNFINISHED CIGARETTES.... and by never I mean MOTHERFUCKING EVER! On top of everything, unlike in the US, you feel unable to ask them to please smoke somewhere else or to turn it off because it is just culturally wrong since they have a different kind of freedom of choice. Plus no one else minds because they smoke too. It is just frustrating and disappointing to see how a place that I thought was more civilized, educated, and developed than the US was so suffocated in such a meaningless and easily recognizable disease/vice like smoking. I choose to call it disease because the abundance of smoking in every corner at every moment just makes non-smokers addicted to it as well without them even knowing and because it kills so effectively.

Bern, Switzerland
1 USD = 1.15 CHF

Another aspect that nearly blew my mind was how much they charge for things that we take for granted in the US. I know that most currencies in Europe are more expensive than USDs, but charging 7 British pounds for a sub at Subway just seems a little excessive when they have the most expensive currency in the world. Perhaps I was just overreacting because Ryanair had just raped me in the ass hardcore. DO NOT EVER GO ON RYANAIR IF YOU HAVE LUGGAGE AT ALL and DO NOT FORGET TO CHECK IN YOUR FLIGHT ONLINE 4 HOURS BEFORE DEPARTURE. If you don't follow my advice prepare to hand over your ass (around 50-100 pounds per person) to the airline. If you know what is like to be raped by Spirit airlines just grab that feeling and multiply it by 1.71 in exchange rate. But this is not only about outrageous prices it is also about paying for going to the restroom, takeout boxes (If they actually have any), fees for a train you already paid, etc. Restrooms are not outrageously priced, but the only one I saw that was clean enough to warrant a charge was at Bern, Switzerland; the other were pretty much anything you'd find in USA or worse. Takeout, actually called "takeaway" (British), is not expected in sit down restaurants so they may not have bags or boxes for you to put your excess food and if they do have expect to pay some cents for each (Yes it is just cents, but it is quite stressful when you cannot discuss the bill with the waiter because of language barrier).There is charges for plenty of other stuff that have developed because of the overwhelming presence or tourists (charges to go into churches, charges to sit down to eat, etc). These I can overlook, but in the grand scheme of things they are quite annoying and frustrating.

Day Train from Berlin to Bern, Cleanest Train I rode.
I also have complains about the public transportation system, but these are due to American's opinions back home. Americans love to talk about how incredibly organized and punctual public transportation (PT) like buses, trains, and trams can be in Europe. I attribute their comments to the fact that there is no properly functioning public transportation in most US cities. The reality of European PT is far simpler; Europe has: trains that work, some ugly and old while others crisp clean and new; schedules change all the time, but they try to stay true to timetables; trains, buses or trams are not exactly punctual, but definitely attuned with the time hungry American lifestyle; facilities are severely different from one city to the next, but generally better in richer countries. In my opinion PT in Europe is an advanced version of what you will find in South America. By advanced I mean: it is more predictable (allowing for timetables and planning), cleaner, and safer. That is literally it. Bus, Tram and Metro lines are extremely difficult to learn if you are staying for just a day or two. There is plenty of rubbing against each other inside trains and buses, "hop-on salesmen" (at least that's what I've been calling them in my head all my life), and homeless and beggars on trains and stops.

Venice, Second to Rome in Nastiness
City garbage is still a problem despite Americans saying that Europe is very clean. I think this is due to the size of the cities (big cities are bound to have street garbage and smelly alleyways), but the American pedestal quite exceeds the reality. A lot of Europe looks exactly the same as downtown Miami (and Latin America for that matter) in the garbage department, disgusting and unapproachable. It is noticeable, however, that they spend time and money to keep high traffic and tourist concentration areas fairly clean. Thus becoming Latin America ++.

Beggars and 'Buhoneros' (street vendors) are everywhere. While there is plenty beggar and buhoneros in USA I have never seen any as annoying and persistent as the ones found in Latin America; sadly, I encountered several that surpassed them in Europe. I have never been slapped or pushed by a beggar or buhonero anywhere in Latin America, but this fact didn't stop them in Europe. There was at least two occasions where I can distinctly remember being mistreated. First, it was by an old lady beggar in front of a church and after by a Turk buhonero that followed us for almost two blocks. Perhaps these people are not from that country or from Europe at all (we saw several Africans and Turks as street vendors), but I still think that Europeans (in their glorious freedom and letting others be) don't have the guts and character to tell these people off so that they behave better.

The quality of the food is definitely better in Europe, but not enough to justify prices and the simple, insubstantial plates served in restaurants. The only food worth money in amount and quality are Doner Kebabs, but they get old fast when that is your only food. If you are going to Europe thinking that you will have great food rich in culture for a normal price you are tremendously mistaking. If you want decent food you have to be ready to spend a lot more than you would in the US (and Latin America for that matter). Food is the single aspect in which I honestly think that Latin America completely outperforms Europe. The best meals I had in Europe at a bargaining price were a Mexican torta in Bern and a meter diameter pizza in Venice. My overall diet while in Europe were Doner Kebabs (or its chicken counterpart), and salami/bologna/cheese sandwiches with juice simply because of budget. Take this advice when you go to Europe: If you are going to spend your money there make sure you have extra to cover good food expenses first!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Needless to say Europe is a very good place to visit. It is extremely safe (even thought it may not seem that way at first), there is plenty of history to see (although not much to feel), and there is plenty to do aside from sightseeing. Hostels are what you would expect: some dirty, some smelly, some with 30 people in a shared room. They vary severely in price, place, and quality. I am simply trying to say that Americans have Europe on a high pedestal that does not represent it and for this reason I was disappointed. I thought Europe was something else than what I found. I ask you not to make the same mistake; I am certain that if I had gone there with my mind empty and no expectation I would not feel as empty about Europe as I do now.

In the end my Europe trip helped me realize how wasteful Americans are, but at the same time how ingenious they can be when making life easier and less burdensome (putting workplace aside). I went to Europe thinking I would find a place that I would love to call home, but found a part of the world that I would love to visit, and only visit, again. Yes, the USA has many problems, but I just did not feel as comfortable over at Europe. Now.... Canada.... That is a place I would call home ranking above USA. We will see when I go back up there, how I feel about it and what I decide to do.


PS: I was working on some drafts before leaving to Europe and I know I haven't posted them yet, but I am trying hard not to make blogging part of my homework or job yet. I do not want it to get tedious and frustrating before I am even started. I promise I will post another game review soon and some video games news (there is plenty of material with the past E3 event and upcoming releases).
The thing is that reviewing a video game is tremendously difficult when all I've done in life is play video games for fun. I definitely think I have an aptitude for it because I am now able to look at video games with a different eye, but in the end it is strange and difficult to play games while I looking for stuff to write about. I think I should make a comparison in one post.... I'll call it "Reviewing gaming vs. Fun gaming" (or something like that). I hope you have a good few weeks of summer before fall starts approaching (In my opinion it's just too hot and I want winter already....).

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your advise, but I still want to go someday and visit. I hope you still traveling to know the world. Congratulations for all your achievements and very well done!!! DTB.
    Hebertny

    ReplyDelete